YCF is selecting athletes for their National team based on their skill, experience, and game IQ. The national team will compete in the 18U division at three tournaments this winter, ending with the South Florida International Tournament in Coral Springs. Any athlete who is interested should attend the skills evaluation Saturday, November 23rd from 1 - 3 pm at the Rosen YMCA Aquatic Center. Athletes will need to be invited by the YCF coaching staff to play on the National Team, and will need to meet the additional requirements outlined here.
1) Athletes must demonstrate their mastery of fundamental skills. For offense: tripod throwing position, ball-side release, passing under pressure, spin-seal-step to ball. For defense: base press position, lunge to counterspin, shot block, drive defense. For reference, review the training materials posted on the website.
2) Athletes need a working knowledge of specific YCF plays. These can be accessed at practice.
3) Athletes need to demonstrate their ability to follow instructions during practice, at the evaluation session, and in games.
4) Athletes must attend practice. Absences need to be excused by the coaching staff.
5) Athletes will need to pay a $125 registration fee for the team, which will cover the cost of entering the National Team in competitions. Athletes DO NOT need to pay a separate entry fee for the tournaments they attend.
National team athletes are expected to be at all of these competitions. Please note that athletes will need a silver or gold USA Water Polo membership.